Institute of Applied Optics Papers

The Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation (RBSCP) has changed some of our policies and services due to COVID-19.
Please go to our website for more information.


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EADNote: You may browse using the navigation on the left, or use Ctrl-F to search within this finding aid.

Institute of Applied Optics Papers
Creator: University of Rochester. Institute of Optics
Call Number: UA200
Dates: 1917-1937
Physical Description: 0.88 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Table of Contents:

Revision Information
Biographical/Historical Note
Scope and Content
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Access
Use
Citation
Bibliography
Content List
Collection Overview
Title: Institute of Applied Optics Papers
Creator: University of Rochester. Institute of Optics
Call Number: UA200
Dates: 1917-1937
Physical Description: 0.88 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Biographical/Historical Note
Following a decade of discussions among the Optical Society of America, President Rush Rhees, Bausch & Lomb, and Eastman Kodak about the development of a site for the study of optics, the Institute of Applied Optics at the University of Rochester opened in 1929. T. Russell Wilkins was the first acting director, and among the early faculty members were Rudolf Kingslake, A.M. Taylor, Ernst Petry, and Gustave Fassin. Until 1936, the Institute included an optometry program. In 1939, the name of the Institute of Applied Optics (which suggested a focus on the application of optical concepts) was changed to the Institute of Optics in order to accommodate more topics of study.

Scope and Content
Contains publications, correspondence, and other materials related to the development and formation of the Institute of Applied Optics. Publications include course bulletins and articles from other institutions in the early 1920s, optical journals, and Institute publicity. Topics of correspondence include hiring new faculty and the study of optometry at the Institute. Correspondents include President Rush Rhees, T. Russell Wilkins, and Edward Bausch. Some of this correspondence is contained in a binder that is labeled Optometry but also includes materials about other aspects of applied optics. Other materials include authorization forms requesting work from the optical shop signed by Brian O'Brien.

Immediate Source of Acquisition
Framed authorization forms requesting work from the optical shop, signed by Brian O'Brien, were received November 28, 2001 from Brian Thompson.Access
For access to this collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu) at least two business days prior to your planned visit.

Please note: Some materials may be restricted or require permission for use.

Use
To request reproductions or permission to publish materials from the collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu). Researchers may be responsible for determining any copyright questions.



Citation
[Item title, item date], Institute of Applied Optics Papers, UA200, Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of RochesterRelated Materials
Institute of Optics Papers, UA23

Brian O'Brien Papers, D.340

Bibliography
A Jewel in the Crown. Ed. Carlos R. Stroud. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press, 2004. Print.

Kingslake, Hilda G. "Institute of Optics 1929-1979, a Brief Commemorative." Applied Optics 18.19 (1979), pages 3223-3229. Accessed 29 March 2018.

May, Arthur J. "The Changing College." A History of the University of Rochester, 1850-1962. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester, 1977. Accessed 29 March 2018.

"University of Rochester Dedicates Goergen Hall" . University of Rochester Newscenter. University of Rochester, 16 May 2007. Accessed 28 March 2018.


Administrative Information
Author: Finding aid prepared by Rare Books and Special Collections staff
Publisher: University of Rochester Archives
Address: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation
River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd.
Rochester, New York 14627-0055
archives@library.rochester.edu


Revision Information
April 2018: After carrying out further processing, Ava Hurlock (Class of 2018) revised the finding aid and added new notes about the history and contents.

Content List
Box 1, Folder 1-2Columbia University Optometry and Optics Course Information, 1921/1922-1924/1925, 1927/1928-1933/1934, undated
Box 1, Folder 3Institut D'Optique Théorique et Appliquée Publications, 1922, 1925, undated
Box 1, Folder 4Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, September 29, 1922; October 6, 1922; October 13, 1922
Box 1, Folder 5"An Eyepiece and Interchangeable Nosepiece for 'Centering' and 'Squaring on' Microscope Objectives" by Professor Alan F.C. Pollard, 1926
Box 1, Folder 6Survey of School Children's Eyesight, Lessons 1-6, 1926-1927
Box 1, Folder 7Supplements to Bulletin of the University of Rochester: College of Arts and Science, February 1926, February 1928
Box 1, Folder 8American Journal of Ophthalmology, American Journal of Optometry, August and September Editorials, September 1927
Box 1, Folder 9Supplements to Journal of the Optical Society of America and Review of Scientific Instruments, October 1928-November 1928
Box 1, Folder 10International Association of Boards of Examiners in Optometry Minimum Requirements, Proceedings, Constitution and By-Laws, June 20, 1927; July 22-23, 1928; July 1928
Box 1, Folder 11Articles on opening of the Institute of Applied Optics; Dedication of the New Buildings of the College for Men, March 15, 1929; 1930; October 10-12, 1930
Box 1, Folder 12The Educational Focus, publication by Bausch & Lomb, September 1929
Page 3 contains information related to the Institute of Applied Optics.

Box 1, Folder 13Special Bulletin of the University of Rochester: Institute of Applied Optics, 1929/1930-1931/1932, 1935
Box 1, Folder 14Letter from Thomas A. Edison to Frank W. Pugsley about the Willimite Screen; letter from Frank W. Pugsley to Brian O'Brien about the Willimite Screen, November 20, 1905; April 16, 1935
Box 1, Folder 15Letter from President Rush Rhees to Professor Wilkins (copy), February 19, 1929
Box 1, Folder 16Summer Sessions at the Institute of Applied Optics, July 6-August 1, 1931; 1937
Box 2, Volume 1Optometry: Institute of Applied Optics, binder, 1917-1937
Box 3, Object 1Framed "Request and Authorization for Work in Optical Shop" form signed by Brian O'Brien, September 19, 1931
Box 3, Object 2Framed "Request and Authorization for Work in Optical Shop" form signed by Brian O'Brien, October 9, 1931


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD