(Click on the images to zoom and see additional content)
Programs for the dedication of the library addition. Addresses at the proceedings were given by John G. Lorenz, (Deputy Librarian, Librarian of Congress), Rutherford D. Rogers (Yale University), and Gordon N. Ray (President, Guggenheim Memorial Foundation).
John Richmond Russell (left) served as library director from 1940 until his retirement in 1969. He received a special commendation from University of Rochester President W. Allen Wallis (right) at the dedication events for planning the library's expansion and construction.
Special events were held to celebrate the new facilities for Rare Books and Special Collections, which moved from its original location (currently the space occupied by Lam Square) to the second floor.
The new building was described for users in an extensive handbook, decorated with a new double "R" logo. The logo would for many years appear on the glass entry doors on the Library Road side of the building.