Catherine Bentley Browning (Class of 1947) Photographs

The Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation (RBSCP) has changed some of our policies and services due to COVID-19.
Please go to our website for more information.


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EADNote: You may browse using the navigation on the left, or use Ctrl-F to search within this finding aid.

Catherine Bentley Browning (Class of 1947) Photographs
Creator:
Call Number: UA13
Dates: circa 1943-1947
Physical Description: 0.19 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Table of Contents:

Biographical/Historical Note
Scope and Content
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Access
Use
Citation
Content List
Collection Overview
Title: Catherine Bentley Browning (Class of 1947) Photographs
Call Number: UA13
Dates: circa 1943-1947
Physical Description: 0.19 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Biographical/Historical Note
Catherine Bentley Browning (1925-2016) attended primary school in Tehran, Iran, where her father was a missionary, and she attended high school at Northfield Seminary in Massachusetts. Browning, whose nickname was "Cliffie," graduated from the University of Rochester in 1947 with a B.S. in Nursing and received a second degree from the School of Nursing the following year. She married George Browning in 1948, and they had four children, Robert, Carol, David, and Wendy. Browning was a member of the Parent Teacher Association (P.T.A.) in North Hollywood, California, a Girl Scouts assistant leader, and a Cub Scouts assistant leader. Within the nursing profession, she was a member of the National Organization for Public Health Nursing, the American Nurses Association, the Grace L. Reid Society, and the Helen Wood Society. Browning was also a member of the First Presbyterian Church in Sherman Oaks, California.

Scope and Content
This collection contains photographs of Browning and her classmates at the University of Rochester's College for Women. Most of these were taken during Browning's freshman year, and many show locations on the Prince Street Campus. The names of students written on the backs of photographs are tentative.

Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Catherine Bentley Browning, conveyed to the University Archives by Margaret Bond, also a member of the Class of 1947, in June 2011.Access
For access to this collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu) at least two business days prior to your planned visit.

Please note: Some materials may be restricted or require permission for use.

Use
To request reproductions or permission to publish materials from the collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu). Researchers may be responsible for determining any copyright questions.



Citation
[Item title, item date], Catherine Bentley Browning (Class of 1947) Photographs, UA13, Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
Administrative Information
Author: Miranda Zammarelli (Class of 2020)
Publisher: University of Rochester Archives
Address: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation
River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd.
Rochester, New York 14627-0055
archives@library.rochester.edu

Finding aid publication date: 2017
Content List
Box 1, Folder 1Castle House
Capping night was a ceremony in which graduating nurses received the caps from their uniforms. Castle Hall opened as a cooperative dormitory on the Prince Street Campus in 1941.
This folder includes a photograph showing seven freshmen wearing hats and smiling; "Freshman hazing" has been written on the back. It also includes a photograph showing students in front of Castle House; "Capping Night" has been written on the back.

Box 1, Folder 2Kendrick House
Kendrick House opened as a dormitory for men on the Prince Street Campus in 1913 and became the first cooperative dormitory for women in 1931, after the men had moved to the River Campus. (See Arthur J. May's A History of the University of Rochester, chapters 15, 16, and 27.) It was named in honor of Professor of Greek Asahel C. Kendrick (1809-1895).
This folder includes a photograph of students practicing music together around a piano.

Box 1, Folder 3Students outside of Cutler Union
Box 1, Folder 4Students outside of Seelye House
Seelye House opened as a cooperative dormitory on the Prince Street Campus in 1935. Before it was converted into a dormitory, it housed the University's presidents from 1868 to 1932. Seelye House was named after President Rush Rhees's wife, Harriet Seelye Rhees.
This folder includes a photograph of students holding a quilt; "Seelye House Project" has been written on the back.

Box 1, Folder 5Students, Various
Arthur J. May's A History of the University of Rochester explains the origins of the Faculty Club Dorm in the early 1940s: "The Women's Faculty Club was commandeered and the top floor of Cutler Union was converted into a dormitory, furnished with double bunks, and dubbed 'Freshman Paradise'" (chapter 31).
These photographs include students posing in front of a car, posing with a book, outside of Sibley Hall, and outside of the "Faculty Club Dorm."

Box 1, Folder 6Students in Winter
These photographs show students on skis and sitting in the snow.



Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD