Buildings and Grounds: Gavett Hall Renovation

The Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation (RBSCP) has changed some of our policies and services due to COVID-19.
Please go to our website for more information.


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EADNote: You may browse using the navigation on the left, or use Ctrl-F to search within this finding aid.

Buildings and Grounds: Gavett Hall Renovation
Creator:
Call Number: UA122
Dates: 1962-1966
Physical Description: 0.37 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Table of Contents:

Revision Information
Biographical/Historical Note
Scope and Content
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Access
Use
Citation
Related Materials
Bibliography
Content List
Collection Overview
Title: Buildings and Grounds: Gavett Hall Renovation
Call Number: UA122
Dates: 1962-1966
Physical Description: 0.37 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: University of Rochester Archives

Biographical/Historical Note
In 1911, the Carnegie Building opened on the Prince Street Campus as the first dedicated building for the study of engineering. The structure included steam engines and laboratories in the basement, while the main floors were lecture and study rooms. After the College for Men relocated to the new River Campus in 1930, the Carnegie Building became a dormitory and classroom space for the College for Women. At this stage, a new engineering building was built on the River Campus.

This building, originally called the College of Engineering Building, was renamed in honor of Professor Joseph W. Gavett Jr. after his passing in 1942. Gavett had been closely involved in strengthening engineering programs at the University and planning for the construction of the building. A graduate of Cornell University (M.S.), he taught mechanical engineering and was the chairman of the Department of Engineering at the Men's College. He was particularly interested in the field of steam power generation. At the time of the renaming of the building in 1949, Dean J. Edward Hoffmeister told the Rochester Review that Gavett was a professor who valued friendship and respect in the University community and was beloved by all his students.

The renovation of Gavett Hall was part four of a four-stage expansion plan for the College of Engineering. The first stage, in 1960, added 15,000 square feet to Gavett Hall to maximize space for all engineering departments. During the second stage, space for the Department of Optics was added in the Bausch and Lomb Building. The third stage involved the construction of the Hopeman Building, which became the new site for the entire Department of Electrical Engineering and for most of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Renovation of Gavett Hall during the fourth phase was intended to increase space for the Department of Chemical Engineering, which anticipated an increase in the number of graduate students and faculty; it also provided space for part of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Scope and Content
This collection contains material related to the last phase of the College of Engineering expansion plan, the renovation of Gavett Hall, carried out between 1962 and 1966. Items include requisitions, order forms, correspondence, reports, photographs, and floor plans.

The collection includes the University's proposal for a National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate-Level Research Facilities Development Grant, as well as the University's reports on its use of the grant, which describe the new facility and include photographs. These reports contain information about the disposition of old facilities, department use of new space, research projects, discussion of the construction process, fiscal reports, and comments.

Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Carlyle F. Whiting, Assistant Dean, College of Engineering and Applied Science, July 25, 1969. The collection was originally titled the College of Engineering and Applied Science Papers Re: Gavett Hall Renovation. It was subsequently relocated to the Buildings and Grounds record group.Access
For access to this collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu) at least two business days prior to your planned visit.

Please note: Some materials may be restricted or require permission for use.

Use
To request reproductions or permission to publish materials from the collection, please contact the University of Rochester Archives (archives@library.rochester.edu). Researchers may be responsible for determining any copyright questions.



Citation
[Item title, item date], Buildings and Grounds: Gavett Hall Renovation, UA122, Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of RochesterRelated Materials
Joseph W. Gavett Jr. Papers, A.G27

Bibliography
Friedly, John C. "Support Staff and Facilities" 75 Years of Chemical Engineering. Rochester: University of Rochester, 1990.

Gavett, Joseph W. Public Relations Faculty/Staff Files, Series 1, Dept. of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, U of Rochester.

May, Arthur J. "The Changing College." A History of the University of Rochester . Unabridged Version. Dept. of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, U of Rochester. Web.

Mead, Melissa. "What's the Fate of the Carnegie Building?" Rochester Review May-June 2015, p.18-19. U of Rochester. Web.

"Men's College Engineering Building Named Gavett Hall." Rochester Review December 1949-January 1950, p.10. Dept. of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, U of Rochester. Web.


Administrative Information
Author: Finding aid prepared by Rare Books and Special Collections staff
Publisher: University of Rochester Archives
Address: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation
River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd.
Rochester, New York 14627-0055
archives@library.rochester.edu


Revision Information
2017: Revised, including new historical and scope and contents notes, by Alma Rocha.

Content List
Box 1, Folder 1Check List on Construction, 1963 December 30-1964 July 7
Box 1, Folder 2Correspondence - Remodeling, 1963 May 28-October 9
Box 1, Folder 3Equipment Order, 1963 June 28-December 31
Box 1, Folder 4Furniture and Equipment, 1963 June 28-1964 June 6
Box 1, Folder 5Locks and Keys, Room Numbers, 1963 October 9-1964 August 7
Box 1, Folder 6Maurer/Kewaunee: Remodeling, 1963 August 6-1964 January 17, undated
Material in this folder relates to the laboratory-furniture installation plans made with the Maurer Company, Inc., a construction company. Order forms can be found from Kewaunee Manufacturing Company, which specialized in manufacturing steel and wooden laboratory furniture like stainless steel fume hoods with wood bases.

Box 1, Folder 7National Science Foundation Proposal - Remodeling, 1962 November 28-1963 March 11
Box 1, Folder 8National Science Foundation Facilities Report, 1964 March 8-1966 March 9
Box 1, Folder 9Paint Schedule, 1964 February 3-April 21
This folder includes a brochure showing color samples along with a list of areas and rooms in the building in need of painting. Correspondence relates to the schedule for painting.

Box 1, Folder 10-11Photographs for National Science Foundation Report (1 of 2), undated
Photographs accompanied the report made for the National Science Foundation and show the renovation of various spaces.

Box 1, Folder 12Research Equipment, 1963 August 12-1965 August 17
This folder includes copies of purchase orders that list pieces of research equipment and the unit price for each item. Alongside some orders, there is related correspondence. This folder also includes a copy of the painting survey found in the "Paint Schedule" folder.

Box 1, Folder 13Room Layouts, 1962 April 19-1963 October 11, undated
Box 1, Folder 14Telephones and Intercommunication, 1963 June 28-September 24
This folder contains correspondence about the installation of new telephone lines and changes in the intercommunication system.

Flatfile 1Floor Plans, 1962-1963


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD