New York Temporary Cofferdam Construction Photographs

In line with the University of Rochester’s recommendations regarding COVID-19, the Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation will be closed to the public until further notice, effective Monday, March 16, 2020.

Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD Note: You may browse using the navigation on the left, or use Ctrl-F to search within this finding aid.

New York temporary cofferdam construction photographs
Creator:
Call Number: D.544
Dates: October 28, 1912
Physical Description: 0.19 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester

Table of Contents:

Biographical/Historical Note
Scope and Content
Subject(s)
Access
Use
Citation
Content List
New York dam construction photographs
Collection Overview
Title: New York temporary cofferdam construction photographs
Call Number: D.544
Dates: October 28, 1912
Physical Description: 0.19 Cubic feet
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester

Biographical/Historical Note
The 20th century New York Barge Canal was completed in 1918 and is the successor of the towpath-era Erie Canal that ran from Albany to Buffalo. In 1912, the Walter Bradley & Co. engineering and construction firm sought to widen, modernize, and improve the locks along the Barge Canal through Fulton, New York, an important manufacturing link between Oswego, New York on Lake Ontario, and Oneida Lake in upstate New York. Contract No. 37 specifically required the company to dredge a channel in the Oswego River, construct Locks Nos. 5 and 6, dams, bulkheads, and other structures, as well as remove Battle and High dams between Fulton and Oswego, New York. About 3,022 cubic yards of material was excavated, and some 933 pounds of steel were placed in Lock No. 5.

Frederick W. Modry (1871-1918) took the photographs in this collection. In addition to being a photographer, Modry was a Swiss-American lithographer and house and sign painter living in Fulton, New York and Oswego, New York until his death during World War I.

Scope and Content
The New York temporary cofferdam construction photographs, October 28, 1912, show images of the dam that existed prior to the construction of the dam destroyed in 1912 pursuant to Barge Canal Contract No. 37. Each of the four silver gelatin photographs depicts scenes of the progress as of October 1912 in the dredging of a canal in the Oswego River and the removal of Battle Island and High Dams. There are identical descriptions written by the photographer, Frederick W. Modry, on the back of each photograph. The photographs include scenes of a small steam locomotive moving a steam shovel back and forth, large piles of rubble behind the newly constructed temporary coffer dam, and the scale of the massive project with workers against the backdrop of the construction and factory buildings overlooking the project.

Subject(s):
New York (State)--New York State Canal System
New York (State)--Erie Canal
Canals
Access
The New York temporary cofferdam construction photographs is open for research use. Researchers are advised to contact Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation prior to visiting. Upon arrival, researchers will also be asked to fill out a registration form and provide photo identification.Use
Reproductions are made upon request but can be subject to restrictions. Permission to publish materials from the collection must currently be requested. Please note that some materials may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information contact rarebks@library.rochester.eduCitation
[Item title, item date], New York temporary cofferdam construction photographs, D.544, Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
Administrative Information
Author: Emilee Brecht
Publisher: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
Address:
Rush Rhees Library
Second Floor, Room 225
Rochester, NY 14627-0055
rarebks@library.rochester.edu
URL:

Finding aid publication date: 2/19/2019
Content List
New York dam construction photographs
4 mounted silver gelatin photographs sized 5.2 x 7 inches, mounted on 7 x 9 inch gray boards

Box 1, Folder 1Photograph of steam locomotive, workers, and construction debris, October 28, 1912
Box 1, Folder 2Photograph of water flowing in the canal, debris, and factories, October 28, 1912
Box 1, Folder 3Photograph of a different angle of steam locomotive, workers, and construction debris, October 28, 1912
Box 1, Folder 4Photograph of a different angle of steam locomotive, workers, and construction debris, October 28, 1912


Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD