Clover Street Seminary Collection

In line with the University of Rochester’s recommendations regarding COVID-19, the Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation will be closed to the public until further notice, effective Monday, March 16, 2020.

Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD Note: You may browse using the navigation on the left, or use Ctrl-F to search within this finding aid.

Clover Street Seminary Collection
Creator: Clover Street Seminary (Monroe County, N.Y.)
Call Number: D.395
Dates: 1845-1860s
Physical Description: 1 oversize box
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester

Table of Contents:

Biographical/Historical Note
Scope and Content
Access
Use
Citation
Collection Overview
Title: Clover Street Seminary Collection
Creator: Clover Street Seminary (Monroe County, N.Y.)
Call Number: D.395
Dates: 1845-1860s
Physical Description: 1 oversize box
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester

Biographical/Historical Note
The Clover Street Seminary was established in 1845 and occupied the property at the northeast corner of Clover Street and Elmwood Avenue in Brighton, NY. The large old brick building at 1550 Clover Street was the main building. The students enrolled in the school came from Brighton and Rochester as well as other towns and cities in New York, other states and Canada. This highly-esteemed school enrolled the daughter of Thurlow Weed of Albany as the first boarding student.

An omnibus drawn by Indian ponies made regular trips between the school and Clinton House on Exchange Street for the day students. During the snowy days, the omnibus was put on runners. There are also records of the occasional use of a packet boat with three horses attached, which followed the Erie Canal from the basin near Exchange Street to a point near the school.

After the death of Miss Celestia Bloss, proprietor of the Clover Street Seminary in 1855, the school property was sold to the Reverend Thomas Drum, an Episcopal clergyman, who immediately opened a boarding and day school for boys. For a time it was highly successful; however after ten or fifteen years it became less popular and was ended by a sheriff's sale.

The seminary building has been a private home for more than a century and was for many years the family home of Joseph C. Wilson, founder of the Xerox Corporation.

Scope and Content
The collection is comprised of an oversize box which contains: Chronological Chart of the Clover Street Seminary by Celestia Bloss.

Clover Street Seminary (Monroe County, N.Y.)
Access
The Clover Street Seminary Collection is open for research use. Researchers are advised to contact Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation prior to visiting. Upon arrival, researchers will also be asked to fill out a registration form and provide photo identification.Use
Reproductions are made upon request but can be subject to restrictions. Permission to publish materials from the collection must currently be requested. Please note that some materials may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information contact rarebks@library.rochester.eduCitation
[Item title, item date], Clover Street Seminary Collection, D.395, Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
Administrative Information
Author: Finding aid prepared by Rare Books and Special Collections staff
Publisher: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester
Address:
Rush Rhees Library
Second Floor, Room 225
Rochester, NY 14627-0055
rarebks@library.rochester.edu
URL:




Other Views:  Print/PDF  |  EAD