Maps and Meliora

A Brief Geographical Survey of the Genesee Country and the University of Rochester

Our earliest map of Western New York—the gift of Dr. Seymour Schwartz—dates to 1724. A little more than a century later, the first University of Rochester building appeared on a city map: the United States Hotel opened in 1826, and the University would take up residence in 1850.


As the University has grown and moved, we can use the manuscript and printed maps of region to trace the topography, ownership, and use of the land our campuses occupy—from West Main Street to Prince Street to Wilson Boulevard.