Campus Buildings from 1850 to the Present
Campus Buildings from 1850 to the Present
The University of Rochester has had three homes -- the US Hotel, Prince Street and the River Campus, and currently has three campuses -- the River Campus, the Medical School, the Eastman School of Music, and the Memorial Art Gallery.
The United States Hotel, on Buffalo Street (now West Main Street) was the home of the University from 1850 to 1861. At first the university rented the building for $800 per year, but within a few months it was decided to purchase the building outright, for $9000.
The Prince Street Campus was home to the University from 1861 to 1930, and remained home to the College for Women until 1955. The first building on the Prince Street Campus was Anderson Hall, named for President Martin Brewer Anderson. When it was being built, President Anderson used a hammer (now in the University Archive) to "test" the blocks of stone being used in the construction. This apparently annoyed the contractor, but Anderson was undeterred; the first University president later told Professor Fairchild that he "stuck to the job." Anderson Hall stands firm to this day and is the home of the American Red Cross of Rochester.
This photograph shows a classroom in Anderson Hall, circa 1900. It was used for the study of Geology.
Sibley Hall was the first "fireproof" structure in Rochester, built with an airspace between the outer limestone walls and the inner brick walls. The beams and staircases were made of iron. The sphinxes which flank the entrance in this picture were moved to the River Campus and currently reside outside the doorway to the lower quad entrance between Morey and Lattimore Halls.
Detailed Listing of Campus Buildings
If you don't find the building you are looking for below, please contact Melissa Mead.
River Campus - ALEXANDER PALESTRA
Named for Louis Albion Alexander (1899-1976), who served as director of the University's Athletics, program from 1939 until 1966. Named and dedicated 1968.
River Campus - ALUMNI GYMNASIUM
Opened in 1930 and dedicated with other original River Campus buildings the same year. The Alexander Palestra is part of this structure.
River Campus - Residence ANDERSON TOWER
Named for Martin Brewer Anderson, 1815-1890, the University's first president, who served from 1853 until 1888 and was a member of the UR board of trustees from 1887 until his death. Opened 1962, dedicated 1966. (The original Anderson Hall was located on the Prince Street campus.)
River Campus - SUSAN BROWNELL ANTHONY HALLS
Named for Susan B. Anthony, 1820-1906, a pioneer in women's rights who urged the University to admit women students. Opened 1955. (The original Anthony Hall was located on the Prince Street campus.)
Mount Hope "Campus" - PATRICK BARRY HOUSE
Named for Patrick Barry, 1816-1890, Irish immigrant, who with partner George Ellwanger established one of the largest nurseries in the world. The house, given to the University in 1963 by the descendants of Patrick Barry, was used as a residence for the President of the University. It was designated a New York State landmark in 1970.
Eastman Quadrangle River Campus - BAUSCH AND LOMB HALL
Named for John J. Bausch, 1830-1926, and Henry Lomb, 1828-1908, two German immigrants who established one of the worlds greatest optical firms in Rochester. Completed and occupied in 1929, dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
South Campus Residence - BRIGHT BUILDING
Named for Edward Bright, 1808-1894, UR trustee from 1867-1894 and chairman of the board, 1886-1893, leading Baptist churchman, and editor of the Examiner and Chronicle. Dedicated 1966.
River Campus Residence - BURTON HALL
Named for Henry Fairfield Burton, 1851-1918, teacher of Latin and literature, and acting president of the University, 1898-1900. One of the earliest River Campus Residence halls and a twin of Crosby Hall. Dedicated 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
River Campus Residence - CHAMBERS HOUSE
Named for Victor John Chambers, 1870-1956, class of 1895, head of the University's chemistry department, 1908-1939, and dean of graduate studies, 1934-1940. Dedicated 1969.
River Campus Residence - CROSBY HALL
Named for George Nelson Crosby, 1841-1923, a Rochester businessman who bequeathed a substantial legacy to the University. Twin building of Burton Hall, it was dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
Prince Street Campus - CUTLER UNION
Named for James Goold Cutler, 1848-1927, and his wife, Anna Katherine Cutler. An architect and inventor, Mr. Cutler was once a Rochester mayor and a member of the UR board of trustees, 1915-1927. Completed in 1933, the building was built as a student union for the College of Women. It was purchased by the Eastman School of Music for their use when the women went to the River Campus in 1955.
River Campus - DANFORTH HALL
Named for Edwina Danforth, 1864-1961, a tireless promoter of higher education for women, former City School Commissioner, and for many years advisor of the University's College for Women. Opened 1955.
South Campus Residence - de KIEWIET TOWER
Named for Cornelis Willem de Kiewiet, 1902-1986, fifth president of the University, 1951-1961. Under his leadership the UR merged the men's and women's colleges in 1955 following a major building program on the River Campus. Dedicated 1966. Eastman Quadrangle River Campus DEWEY HALL Named for Chester Dewey, 1784-1867, professor of natural science from the University's founding in 1850 until his death in 1867. Completed in 1929, it was dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
River Campus - FREDERICK DOUGLASS HALL
Named for Frederick Douglass, 1817-1895, eminent black orator and editor who spent many of his creative years between 1847 and 1872 in Rochester. (Formerly known as Men's Dining Center.) Opened 1955, enlarged 1963, and named in 1967.
East Main Street - EASTMAN DENTAL CENTER
Named in 1925 for its benefactor, George Eastman, 1854-1932; founded to serve the community's clinical and dental needs. It was formally affiliated with the UR School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1971 to help develop and sustain programs of advanced technical education, research, and service.
East Avenue - EASTMAN HOUSE
Named for George Eastman, 1854-1932. Originally Mr. Eastman's residence, later home of UR presidents from 1932 until 1943; now houses The International Museum of Photography. Relinquished by the UR in 1947, it opened officially as a museum on November 9, 1949. Currently has no formal connection with the University.
Gibbs Street - EASTMAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Named for George Eastman, 1854-1932, founder of Eastman Kodak Company and the University's greatest benefactor, who provided funds for the School. Opened in 1921; an annex was opened in 1927.
Gibbs Street - EASTMAN THEATRE
Named for its donor, George Eastman, 1854-1932. Erected for the enrichment of community life and for use as an auditorium for the Eastman School, it was opened on Labor Day 1922. Repaired in 1954; reopened and rededicated in 1955. Following its first major renovation in 50 years. the Theatre was reopened again in 1972. An annex to the Theatre was opened in 1924.
Mount Hope Avenue - ELLWANGER AND BARRY BUILDING
Named for the Ellwanger and Barry Nursery, whose headquarters it was for many years. The building was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1854 and acquired by the University in 1963.
River Campus Residence - FAIRCHILD HOUSE
Named for Herman LeRoy Fairchild, 1850-1943, geology professor at the UR from 1888-1920, and founder of the Geological Society of America. Dedicated 1969.
River Campus - FAUVER STADIUM
Named for Dr. Edwin Fauver, 1875-1949, director of athletics, hygiene, physical education; college physician, 1916-1945. Fauver Stadium is part of Fauver Hall. Opened 1930, dedicated 1950.
River Campus - FAUVER HALL
Named for Dr. Edwin Fauver, 1875-1949, director of athletics, hygiene, physical education; college physician, 1916-1945. Opened 1930, dedicated 1950.
Eastman School Residence, Prince Street Campus - STEPHEN FOSTER HALL
Named for Stephen Collins Foster, 1826-1864, American composer. Constructed and named in 1927 to honor those accomplished in music, the building is one of three residence halls named in honor of American composers.
River Campus Residences - FOUNDERS COURT
A residence complex consisting of two nine story buildings (Anderson, Wilder) and a recreation area (Sage). Named for prominent, early U of R leaders.
River Campus Residence - GALE HOUSE
Named for Arthur Sullivan Gale, 1877-1964, professor of mathematics, 1906-1945; first dean of freshmen, 1921-1936; dean of the College for Men, 1939-1940. Dedicated 1969.
River Campus Residence - GANNETT HALL
Named for Mary T. L. Gannett, 1854-1952 wife of a Rochester Unitarian Minister. Active in the struggle for coeducation, she headed the Memorial Association which sought funds from all over the U. S. for a building for women undergraduates. Opened 1955.
River Campus Residence - FREDERICK TAYLOR GATES HALL
Named for Frederick Taylor Gates, 1853-1929, class of 1877. Advisor to John D. Rockefeller on his philanthropies. Formerly called Susan Brownell Anthony Hall; renamed, 1974, when this name was given to the whole complex.
River Campus - GAVETT HALL Named for Joseph W. Gavett, Jr., 1889-1942, chairman of engineering when it was a unit of the College of Arts and Science from 1921-1942. The building houses units of the College of Engineering and Applied Science. Erected in 1930 and dedicated the same year with other original River Campus buildings, it was named in 1951.
River Campus Residence - GILBERT HALL
Named for Donald W. Gilbert, 1900-1957, class of 1921, teacher and chairman of economics and business administration, dean of graduate studies, administrator of the University during the presidents leave, and vice president and director of University development. Opened 1959, dedicated 1960. fall
Crittenden Boulevard Residence - GOLER HOUSE
Named for Dr. George Washington Goler, 1864-1940, former Health Officer of the City of Rochester, who was responsible for the organization of the Municipal Hospital. A residence for Medical Center staff, it was dedicated in 1972.
Kendrick Road Residence - South Campus
Completed in 1965, dedicated 1966, it contains two main towers, Valentine, south tower, and de Kiewiet, north tower; and seven smaller units, Bright, Kelly, Moore, Munn, Ross, Sibley, and Trevor Houses each of which is named for a former chairman of the University's board of trustees.
River Campus Residences - HILL COURT
Named for David Jayne Hill, 1850-1932, second president of the University, 1889-1896, trustee, 1896-1927. He entered public life as Assistant Secretary of State during the administrations of McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt, was named Minister to Switzerland, 1903; Minister to the Netherlands, 1905; and served as Ambassador to Germany from 1908 until his resignation in 1911. Dedicated in 1969.
Prince Street Campus, in Cutler Union - HOWARD HANSON INTERFAITH CHAPEL
Named for Howard Hanson, b. 1896. Director of the Eastman School of Music from 1924 until 1964. Composer, conductor, currently Distinguished University Professor and Director of the UR Institute of American Music. Dedicated 1960.
River Campus - HARKNESS HALL
Named for Rear Admiral William Harkness, 1837-1903, class of 1858, who won international distinction as a naval astronomer. The building housed the AFROTC and the NROTC in its early days. Dedicated 1946, remodeled 1962.
River Campus Residence - HOEING HALL
Named for Charles Hoeing, 1871-1938, professor of Latin, 1898-1933, and librarian, 1901-1905, second dean of the College for Men, first dean of graduate studies. Dedicated Fall 1956.
River Campus Residence - HOLLISTER HALL
Named for Emily Weed Hollister, 1857-1932, who worked closely with Susan B. Anthony and the 1891 Committee to secure funds for admitting women to the University. Her husband, George C. Hollister, was a UR trustee from 1890 until 1932. Opened 1955.
River Campus - HOPEMAN ENGINEERING BUILDING
Named for Albert A. Hopeman, head of the contracting firm responsible for building a major part of the original River Campus as well as many other UR structures. Opened and dedicated 1963. Cornerstone contains symbolic objects representative of the engineering field.
Eastman School residence, Prince Street Campus - FRANCIS HOPKINSON HALL
Named for Francis Hopkinson, 1737-1791, the first American-born composer in the American colonies and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. It was opened in 1927, one of three residence halls named in honor of American composers.
River Campus - HOYT HALL
Named for Elizabeth Hoyt, c. 1860-1927, this lecture and demonstration hall was donated by UR trustee C. Grandison Hoyt as a memorial to his mother. Completed and dedicated in 1962.
930 East Avenue - HUTCHISON HOUSE
Named for Charles Force Hutchison, b. 1875, a retired controller of film and plate emulsion in the U.S. and Canada for Eastman Kodak Company. A UR trustee from 1932-1959, and member of the board of managers of the Eastman School of Music, he was a member of the class of 1898, although a non-graduate. The building, his former home, was given to the Eastman School in 1951, and was used as a residence by its director and for many of the School's social and academic functions until the mid-1970s.
River Campus - HUTCHISON HALL
Named for Charles Force Hutchison, b. 1875, a retired controller of film and plate emulsion in the U.S. and Canada for Eastman Kodak Company. A UR trustee from 1932-1959, and member of the board of managers of the Eastman School of Music, he was a member of the class of 1898, although a non-graduate. The building, dedicated in 1971 and opened in 1972, houses the chemistry, biology, and Earth and Environmental Science departments, and is connected to the Hylan building.
South Campus Residence KELLY HOUSE
Named for William Kelly, 1807-1872, a businessman, prominent in Democratic party politics, who was elected to the University's board of trustees in 1856. He became the second president (now called "chairman" of the board in 1860 and served until his death. Dedicated 1966.
River Campus Residence - KENDRICK HALL
Named for Asahel Clark Kendrick, 1809-1895, and his son Ryland M. Kendrick, 1867-1947. Asahel Kendrick, professor of Greek language and literature from 1850 until his death, was one of the original faculty members, the first University librarian, 1850-1868, and acting president 1877-1878. Ryland Kendrick, class of 1889, was a teacher of Latin and Greek from 1891 until 1937. Dedicated 1969. (The original Kendrick Hall was on the Prince Street campus.)
Gibbs Street - KILBOURN HALL
Named for Maria Kilbourn Eastman, 1821-1907, mother of George Eastman, this small auditorium for recitals and chamber music is part of the Eastman School building. Dedicated 1922.
Eastman Quadrangle River Campus - LATTIMORE HALL
Named for Samuel Allan Lattimore, 1828-1913, professor of chemistry, 1867-1908, acting president of the University, 1896-1898 and professor emeritus from 1908 until his death. It was dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings; a five story addition was dedicated in 1949.
River Campus Residence - LOVEJOY HALL
Named for Frank W. Lovejoy, 1871-1945, member of the Board of Trustees from 1926 until his death. President of Eastman Kodak Company, 1934-1941. Ground broken 1952, dedicated 1954.
Eastman School residence Prince Street Campus - EDWARD MACDOWELL HALL
Named for Edward Alexander MacDowell, 1861-1903, the first American composer to gain recognition in Europe. Erected and opened in 1927, it is one of three residence halls named in honor of American composers.
River Campus - HYLAN BUILDING
Constructed following the $38 million campaign through a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, this building houses the mathematics and statistics departments, classrooms, and administrative offices; it is connected to Hutchison Hall. Opened 1971.
Bristol, New York - MEES OBSERVATORY
Named for C. E. Kenneth Mees, 1882-1960, director of Kodak Research Laboratories, 1912-1956. The land on which the observatory was built was a gift of Caroline Werher Gannett, widow of Frank Gannett, the publisher. Dedicated 1965.
South Campus Residence - MOORE BUILDING
Named for Edward Mott Moore, 1814-1902, who is best remembered as the "father of the public parks in Rochester." He was promoter of many philanthropic enterprises, taught medicine and surgery at several schools, was elected to the University's Board of Trustees in 1872, and served as chairman of the board, 1893-1902. Dedicated 1966.
Eastman Quadrangle River Campus - MOREY HALL
Named for William Carey Morey, 1843-1925, class of 1868, professor of Latin, history, and political science, who also helped found the Rochester Historical Society. Dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
River Campus - MOREY HALL ANNEX
Named for William Carey Morey, 1843-1925, class of 1868, professor of Latin, history, and political science, who also helped found the Rochester Historical Society. Completed in 1963, it was erected as a temporary building to house the Center for Brain Research; it has been known as Morey Hall Annex since 1971.
River Campus Residence - MORGAN HALL
Named for Lewis Henry Morgan, 1818-1881, a Rochester lawyer and distinguished American anthropologist. He left his residuary estate for the education of women at the University of Rochester in memory of his daughters who died young. Ground broken 1953, opened 1955.
South Campus Residence - MUNN BUILDING
Named for John Pixley Munn, 1846-1931, class of 1870, a physician and businessman whose primary career was with the U.S. Life Insurance Company. Elected to the University's board of trustees in 1886, he was chairman of the board from 1916 until his death. Dedicated 1966.
River Campus Residence - MUNRO HALL
Named for Annette Gardner Munro, 1861-1955, the University's first dean of women, 1910-1930. Dedicated 1969. (The original Munro Hall, a dormitory for women built in 1939, was located on the Prince Street campus.) (The original Munro Hall was later used fro a time as the Men's Dormitory of ESM.)
Eastman Quadrangle River Campus - RUSH RHEES LIBRARY
The University's main library, named for Rush Rhees, 1860-1939, the University's third president, 1900-1935. In 1927, he broke ground at the former "Oak Hill" for construction of the River Campus. The Library was dedicated in 1930 with other original River Campus buildings; a major addition was dedicated in 1970.
South Campus Residence - ROSS BUILDING
Named for Lewis Pratt Ross, 1843-1915, a Rochester businessman, whose bequest established a department of vital economics at the UR. He was elected a trustee of the University in 1893 and was president (now called " chairman") of the board of trustees from 1903 until his death. Named 1965, dedicated 1966.
River Campus - SAGE HALL
Named for William Nathan Sage, 1819-1890, secretary of the board of trustees, 1850-1890, treasurer of the University, 1851-1890, and a key figure in the first four decades of the University's life. Opened 1962, dedicated 1966.
Eastman School Annex, Swan Street - SIBLEY MUSIC LIBRARY
Founded with a gift of Hiram Watson Sibley, 1845-1932, in 1904 and then housed in the University's Sibley Library (the gift of his father) on the Prince Street Campus. With the founding of the Eastman School of Music, the library was moved to its building downtown, where it remained until the present Sibley Music Library building was built in 1937 and dedicated in 1938.
South Campus Residence - SIBLEY BUILDING
Named for Rufus A. Sibley, 1841-1928, member of the University's board of trustees, 1895-1915, president (now called "chairman") of the board, 1902-1903, and trustee emeritus, 1915 until his death. Dedicated 1966.
River Campus Residence - SLATER HOUSE
Named for John Rothwell Slater, 1872-1965, professor of English, 1905-1942, chairman of the department of English, 1908-1942. He was an author, pioneer bellman of the Hopeman Chime in Rush Rhees Library tower, responsible for many of the timeless inscriptions on Eastman Quadrangle buildings, and composer of the Commencement Hymn, 1907, among many other accomplishments. He was awarded an honorary degree by the UR in 1964. Dedicated 1969.
River Campus - MERLE SPURRIER GYMNASIUM
Named for Merle Spurrier, Director of physical education for women at the University, 1922-1958. Opened 1955, named 1974.
River Campus - STRONG AUDITORIUM
Named for Col. Henry Alvah Strong, 1838-1919, a president of Eastman Kodak Company. The building was a gift of Hattie M. Strong, 1864-1950, a philanthropist and his second wife, and her son, L. Corrin Strong, in memory of their husband and father. Dedicated 1930 with other original River Campus buildings.
Crittenden Boulevard - STRONG MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Named for Col. Henry Alvah Strong, 1839-1919, and Helen Griffin Strong, 1839-1894, his first wife. His daughters, Gertrude Strong Achilles and Helen Strong Carter, contributed funds toward the construction of SMH as a teaching hospital. Opened 1926, dedicated 1927.
River Campus - TAYLOR HALL
Named for Earl Burt Taylor, 1889-1946, class of 1912, professor of education, director and dean of extension activities and member of the UR faculty for 18 years. First used as a supplies and services building, remodeled, named and reopened in 1956 for the University College administration building, and student center, it is currently used by the College of Education.
River Campus Residence - TIERNAN HALL
Named for Martin F. Tiernan, 1883-1968, class of 1906, a businessman, manufacturer of water purification systems in the U.S, Canada, England and Germany, and a University trustee from 1928 until his death. Ground broken 1956, opened and dedicated in 1957.
River Campus - TODD UNION
Named for George W. Todd, 1860-19385, who originated the idea of purchasing Oak Hill golf course for use as the UR campus. Deeply interested in a place for students, Todd organized a group of citizens who procured funds to create a student union. Dedicated in 1930 with other River Campus buildings; remodeled in 1946.
South Campus Residence - TREVOR HOUSE
Named for John Bond Trevor, 1822-1890, member of the University's board of trustees from 1869 until his death and president (now called "chairman") of the board, 1872-1886. Dedicated 1966.
South Campus Residence - VALENTINE TOWER
Named for Alan Valentine, b. 1901, the UR's fourth president, 1935-1950. Dedicated 1966.
River Campus - W. ALLEN WALLIS HALL
The administration building is named for W. Allen Wallis in honor of the former president and chancellor of the University of Rochester. President Thomas Jackson announced the building dedication on October 30, 1998, during the memorial service for Wallis. Wallis Hall, a red brick structure in the Greek Revival style, faces the Genesee River from its location on Wilson Boulevard. When it was built in 1957, it was the first time in the University's then 107-year existence that a separate building was provided for the administration. Previously, administrative offices were housed in other academic and residential facilities.
South Campus - WHIPPLE PARK
Named for George Hoyt Whipple, b. 1878, first dean of the University's School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1921-1953 , and 1934 Nobel Laureate in Medicine. Dedicated 1968.
River Campus - HAZEL WILBRAHAM POOL (Merle Spurrier Gymnasium)
Named for Hazel Wilbraham, Class of 1927, member of the women's physical education faculty from the time of her graduation until her death in 1957. Opened 1955, named 1974.
River Campus Residence - WILDER TOWER
Named for John Nichols Wilder, 1814-1858, who was the University's first president (now called "chairman") of the board of trustees from 1850-1858. Wilder declined the University presidency for business reasons, but played an important role in its early years. Opened 1962, dedicated 1966.
River Campus - WILSON COMMONS
Named for Joseph R. Wilson; his sons, Joseph C. Wilson and Richard U. Wilson; and their families. Joseph Robert Wilson, 1882-1962, class of 1903, was a Rochester industrialist and president of Haloid Corporation from Chamberlain Wilson, 1909-1971, class of 1931, was elected to the University's board of trustees in 1949, was chairman of the board, 1959-1967, and honorary chairman from 1967 until his death. He was secretary/ treasurer of Haloid Corporation, 1938-43, vice president, 1944-45, and president, 1946-68 during which time the firm became Haloid/Xerox and then Xerox Corporation. He was chairman of the board at Xerox from 1968 until his death. Next to George Eastman, the Wilson families are the University's greatest benefactors. Ground broken 1973, opening scheduled within two years. Dedicated April 1976
Mount Hope "Campus" - WITMER HOUSE
Named in 2006 in honor of G. Robert Witmer Sr., '26 and his wife, Marian C. Witmer, the house was designed by J. Foster Warner (architect of the George Eastman House) and built in 1906 for William C. Barry (UR class of 1890). Barry, the son of Patrick Barry (1816-1890), Irish immigrant, who with partner George Ellwanger established one of the largest nurseries in the world), was the father of Peter Barry, a former mayor of Rochester, lived in the house until 1973, when the University purchased it.
Crittenden Boulevard - HELEN WOOD HALL
Named for Helen Wood, 1882-1974, first director of the School of Nursing, 1925-1931, and among those present at the opening of Strong Memorial Hospital in 1925. Upon her departure from the University in 1931, the Board of Trustees voted to name this Nursing School administrative and residence building in her honor.
River Campus, Rush Rhees Library - Hopeman Carillon
The carillon is composed of stationary bells with clappers that move. The clappers for the 50 bronze bells in the tower connect to the carillon's keyboard by thin metal rods. The keyboard contains a double row of rounded wooden levers and a set of pedals. The carillonist plays the instrument by using a fist to depress the keys.
The Campus Landscape--Trees, Flowers and More
The River Campus landscaping was undertaken by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., son of the world-renowned landscape architect of Central Park in New York City (as well as Highland Park and Seneca Park, here in Rochester). Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. had a profound effect on the design of the campus. At his urging the quadrangle was oriented so as to get the full benefit of the sun at all times of the year.
Notable among the early landscaping achievements on the River Campus was the planting of the elms that once lined the Eastman Quadrangle.
For views of the River Campus landscape today, check out the homepage of the UR Arboretum, where you will find history, beautiful pictures of the Campus in the spring, and a Tree Map, which provides a unique tour of the campus.